Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Sarah Palin's Alaska" Advertisement

Recently on television, I've been seeing a commercial for a new show on TLC called "Sarah Palin's Alaska." The ad shows the former Vice Presidential candidate in her element doing activities such as mountain climbing, canoeing and spending time with her family in Alaska. The ad is incredibly striking to me because I cannot stand Sarah Palin and I disagree with almost every word that comes out her mouth. Despite this, I've found myself wanting to watch the show as a result of the commercial.

In creating the TV show, TLC clearly took advantage of the fact that Sarah Palin is an attention grabber. Whether people love her or hate her, everyone seems interested in her. This aspect of the ad fell into achievement and prominence appeal. Sarah Palin's name is one of the most recognizable names in current times. Further, the ad definitely appeals to people's curiosity. The Palin family is one of controversy which will absolutely help bring in viewers. Finally, the most persuasive appeal used in the commercial, at least for me, was the aesthetic value of the ad. Throughout the entire ad, views of gorgeous Alaskan wilderness are shown, convincing me that for whatever reason, I need to watch the show.

Although my first thoughts on Sarah Palin's reality show were not ones of high praise, the commercial has steadily grown on me to the point that I now plan to view atleast the first episode. In this case, this can be considered evidence of advertising's effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment